My Sponsor Died After Retiring from the Guard/Reserves
You may qualify to continue or purchase TRICARE Retired Reserve.
If You Already Have TRICARE Retired Reserve
- You can use TRICARE Retired Reserve until the day your sponsor would have turned 60.
- Your family member coverage automatically changes to survivor coverage.
- You can choose to opt out of survivor coverage.
If You Don't Already Have TRICARE Retired Reserve
If only your sponsor had TRICARE Retired Reserve when he or she died, you can purchase coverage at any time before your sponsor would have turned 60.
- For coverage to begin the day after your sponsor’s death, submit your enrollment application within 60 days of your sponsor’s death.
- If you don’t submit it within 60 days, coverage will begin the first of the month after the application is submitted.
All of the following must apply:
The Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) Program doesn't affect your survivor coverage.
You may purchase dental coverage through the TRICARE Retiree Dental Program.