ID Cards

Once you're registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System(DEERS) A database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their family members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE., you'll be issued a uniformed services identification (ID) card.

  • Providers will ask to see your ID card and will make copies for his or her records. 
  • Have your ID card with you whenever you are getting care or prescriptions filled.

ID Cards for Children

  • Children under age 10 can usually use a parent's or guardian's ID card.
  • At age 10, the sponsor must get an ID card for the child.
  • Children under age 10 should have their own ID card when in the custody of a parent or guardian who is not eligible for TRICARE or who is not the custodial parent after a divorce.  

Adult Children Using TRICARE Young Adult

  • You lose eligibility for TRICARE at age 21 (or 23 if enrolled in college, learn more)
  • When you lose eligibility, your ID card is no longer valid.
  • You can enroll in TRICARE Young Adult without a valid ID card
  • When your coverage begins and you're notified by your regional contractor, you can visit any ID Card Office to get a new ID card.

ID Cards for Beneficiaries Age 75 and Over

Family members and survivors of deceased personnel age 75 and over, can get a permanent ID card. If you are age 75 or older and have a valid ID card, get a new permanent ID card within 90 days of your card's expiration date.

Last Updated 2/22/2023