Skip to main content

Life Events

Learn more about Qualifying Life Events.
They can trigger a change in your TRICARE benefit.

Getting Married

Spouses of service members are eligible for TRICARE. This includes:

  • Active duty spouses
  • Retired spouses
  • Guard/Reserve spouses
  • Same-sex spouses

In the following situations, getting married causes TRICARE benefits to end:

  • Surviving (widowed) spouse remarries
  • Former spouse remarries
  • Adult child using TRICARE Young Adult gets married

Step-child(ren) are also eligible for TRICARE as long as the parent of the child and sponsor are married.

Update DEERS

Your spouse and step-child(ren) must registered in Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)

  • Go to any ID card-issuing office to add your spouse to DEERS. 
  • You'll need the following documents (originals or certified copies):
    • Marriage certificate
    • Spouse's birth certificate
    • Spouse's Social Security card
    • Spouse's photo ID

Spouse and Family Health Care Options

Your spouse’s TRICARE plan depends on where you live and your military status.

Active duty spouses may also be able to enroll in one of these Prime plans with their active duty sponsors:

*You must enroll. If overseas, family members must be command-sponsored.

Dental Options

TRICARE has two dental plans for spouses to purchase. These dental plans are separate from TRICARE's health plans.

Pharmacy Coverage

TRICARE provides a robust pharmacy benefit.


Health care costs depend on your health plan and sponsor's military status.

Married Active Duty Service Members

When two active duty service members get married, they will each have their own DEERS record. If they have children, only one parent will be the "sponsor" in DEERS. For more information, call 1-800-538-9552 or log in to MilConnect

Last Updated 12/19/2017

Email Updates

Sign up for email updates about your benefits.