Skip to main content

TRICARE logo Go to TRICARE home

Bread Crumbs

Foreign Force Members and Families

Are you a Foreign Force Member? If so then you and your family members can get care in the U.S. through the Department of Defense (DoD). To qualify, you must:

  • Be from countries that participate in one or more of the following:
    • North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
      • NATO Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA)
    • Partnership for Peace Agreement (PFP)
      • PFP SOFA
      • PFP no SOFA
    • Reciprocal Health Care Agreement
  • Be in the continental U.S. on military orders, conducting business with the DoD.
  • Registered in DEERS at your local ID card office and get a valid military ID card.

Note: Family members of the Armed Forces of foreign NATO or PFP nation's aren't eligible for the TRICARE Overseas Program.

Health Care Benefits

Benefits aren't the same for all foreign force members. In general, you may be eligible for: 

  • Care from military hospitals and clinics only
  • Care from military hospitals and clinics, or from civilian TRICARE authorized providers
  • Dental care from military dental treatment facilities

To learn about your country's agreements, please contact your home country embassy.

Note: Health benefits you and your family receive through your country's agreement with the DoD aren't considered minimum essential coverage under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

Last Updated 3/23/2016

contact Your Contacts
DMDC Support Office

Toll-free: 1-800-538-9552
TTY/TTD: 1-866-363-2883
Fax: 1-831-655-8317

Update DEERS Online

View More Contacts