You have 90 days after your deactivation date to change your health plan.

When you leave active duty after serving more than 30 days, you deactivate. Your coverage depends on whether your time was for a preplanned mission or in support of a contingency operation. >>View Coverage Scenarios.

Separation Health Assessment

You're eligible for a Separation Health Assessment if you: 

  • Were on continuous active duty orders for 180 days or more (for purposes other than training)
  • Were on continuous active duty orders for more than 30 days in support of a contingency operation

Schedule your Separation History and Physical Examination (SHPE) between 90 and 180 days before you leave active duty. The SHPE is a single separation examination the Department of Defense (DoD) and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) use to capture your complete medical history. >>Learn More about the SHPE

If You’re ActivatedCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row. for a Preplanned Mission or in Support of a Contingency Operation

You immediately get Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) coverage for 180 days.

  • TAMP begins on the first day after your active duty service ends.
  • Your family members can also get TAMP. 

When TAMP ends:

If You're Activated but Not for a Preplanned Mission or in Support of a Contingency Operation

You can’t get TAMP, and your active duty benefits end immediately. You may qualify to purchase TRICARE Reserve Select.

Line of Duty Care

You may get care for any illness, injury, or disease you got or that got worse in the line of duty. >>Learn More

Prescription Drug Coverage

You can get TRICARE’s prescription drug coverage if you have:

  • TAMP
  • TRICARE Reserve Select
  • Continued Health Care Benefit Program

Dental Coverage

If you qualify for TAMP, you can get active duty dental benefits.

When TAMP or active duty benefits end:

  • If you had the TRICARE Dental Program before, your coverage automatically resumes
  • You'll start paying your monthly premiums again until you meet your 12-month minimum enrollment period
  • If your family has the TRICARE Dental Program, their coverage continues uninterrupted.  But their premium payments will change back to their original rates

Children Enrolled in TRICARE Young Adult

Your adult child won’t be able to get TRICARE Young Adult if you don’t have TAMP or TRICARE Reserve Select when you deactivate.

If this happens, your child can purchase the Continued Health Care Benefit Program.

What if I'm called again to active duty?

If you're called again to active duty for more than 30 consecutive days, then you become eligible again for TRICARE as an active duty service member.  If you're enrolled in TRICARE Reserve Select, this coverage will end. If you're covered by TAMP, this coverage ends when your active duty benefits begin.

Last Updated 3/23/2021