When you leave active duty, or deactivate, your health plan options are different depending on if you were activatedCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row. in support of a contingency operation.
When your active duty benefits end, you'll need new minimal essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act. The transitional health benefits and TRICARE Reserve Select (described below) meet these requirements, but you can also search the Health Insurance Marketplace to find a plan that fits your budget and meets your needs.
Your Health Plan Options
If Activated for a Preplanned Mission or in Support of a Contingency Operation
You qualify for the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) for 180-days.
- TAMP coverage begins on the first day after your active duty service ends.
- Family members are also covered during the TAMP period.
After TAMP ends, you'll need to make decisions about your health care to meet the minimum essental coverage requirements under the Affordable Care Act.
If Activated, but Not for a Preplanned Mission or in Support of a Contingency Operation
If you weren't activated for a preplanned mission or in support of a contingency operation, you don't qualify for TAMP. When your active duty benefits end:
Line of Duty Care
You may be covered for any illness, injury, or disease sustained or aggravated in the line of duty.
Prescription Drug Coverage
You'll continue to have TRICARE's pharmacy benefit as long as you're covered by TAMP, TRICARE Reserve Select or the Continued Health Care Benefit Program.
- You're covered by active duty dental benefits during TAMP.
- When TRICARE or TAMP coverage ends:
- If previously enrolled in the TRICARE Dental Program, your coverage and monthly premiums automatically resume.
- If your family is enrolled in the TRICARE Dental Program, their coverage continues uninterrupted. Their premium payments will revert back to their original rates.
Children Enrolled in TRICARE Young Adult
For your child to remain eligible for and enrolled in TRICARE Young Adult, you must also be covered by TRICARE through TAMP or TRICARE Reserve Select. If you are not covered by TAMP or TRICARE Reserve Select when you deactivate, your child's eligibility for TRICARE Young Adult also ends.
In this scenario, your child would also qualify to purchase the Continued Health Care Benefit Program.