Ending TRICARE Reserve Select Coverage
Your coverage may end for a number of reasons, both voluntary or involuntary.
Voluntarily End Coverage
You may choose to end your coverage at any time. Take the following actions to end your coverage:
- Log on to the DMDC Beneficiary Web Enrollment Application and follow the instructions to "Disenroll"
- Complete the Reserve Component Health Coverage Request Form (DD Form 2896-1)
- Print and mail your completed form to your regional contractor.
A 12-month purchase lockout will apply, which means you won't be able to purchase TRICARE Reserve Select again for up to one year.
Don't Just Stop Making Payments
If you don't follow the correct steps to end your coverage and you simply stop making premium payments, your coverage is suspended. During this time, you're still responsible for any premium amounts that are due.
Non-Payment of Monthly Premiums
- Your payment must be received no later than the last business day of each month.
- Failure to pay monthly premiums on time will result in suspension of coverage.
- If your coverage is suspended due to nonpayment, contact your regional contractor immediately to see if your coverage can be reinstated.
Change in FEHB Eligibility or Enrollment
- Follow the steps above to end your coverage within 60 days if you become eligible for or enrolled in the FEHB program.
- No purchase lockout will apply.
- If you fail to end coverage as required, your Reserve component may drop your coverage, and you're responsible for any health care received after date your coverage ended.
Change in Status
When you're activated, you and your family become eligible for TRICARE (without premiums) and your coverage automatically ends.
When you later deactivate and lose eligibility for premium-free TRICARE, you may purchase TRICARE Reserve Select again with no break in coverage as long as you re-qualify.
- Submit your completed Reserve Component Health Coverage Request Form (DD Form 2896-1) with a premium payment postmarked no later than 60 days after the loss of the TRICARE coverage.
- TRICARE Reserve Select begins on the day after the loss of other TRICARE coverage.
- If you qualify for the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) when you deactivate, TRICARE Reserve Select begins following the 180-day TAMP period.
Loss of Eligibility
Your coverage automatically ends if you leave the Selected Reserve or lose eligibility for any other reason. You may purchase TRICARE Reserve Select again if you re-qualify.
TRICARE Enrollment Freeze
Starting Dec. 1 2017, there will be an enrollment freeze lasting approximately three weeks to allow the new TRICARE regional contractors time to transition your information. You will still be able to access care during the enrollment freeze. >> Learn more