Continued Health Care Benefit Program
You must purchase the CHCBP within 60 days of loss of TRICARE eligibility (regular TRICARE or through the Transitional Assistance Management Program). CHCBP coverage begins on the first day after the loss of TRICARE eligibility.
If purchased, the CHCBP temporarily meets or exceeds the requirements for minimum essential coverageBasic health care coverage that meets the Affordable Care Act requirement. If you don’t have coverage, you may have to pay a fee for each month you aren’t covered. under the Affordable Care Act.
- Complete the Continued Health Care Benefit Program Enrollment Application (DD Form 2837)
- Mail the application to:
P.O. Box 740072
Louisville, KY 40201-7472
You must send proof of eligibility and payment in full for the first 90 days with your enrollment form. Unremarried former spouses must also send a copy of the final decree of divorce, dissolution, or annulment. Learn more about CHCBP premiums.
- CHCBP coverage is purchased in 90-day increments—premiums are billed quarterly.
- Humana Military sends a renewal notice 30 days before the expiration each quarterly coverage period.
- Renewal premiums must be paid before the coverage expiration date printed on the renewal notice.
- Payments postmarked later than 30 days after the last date of coverage will result in loss of CHCBP benefits and permanent loss of qualification to purchase CHCBP coverage.
Types of Plans
The CHCBP offers individual and family plans—mark the type of plan you want when completing the enrollment application.
- Individual coverage is available to the sponsor, unremarried former spouse or a child who loses eligibility due to age.
- Family coverage is only available to a separating service member and his or her family members (spouse and children).
Adding Family Members
The sponsor's plan type can be changed from individual to family only if:
- The sponsor gets married
- The sponsor has a baby or legally adopts a child
- A child is placed as a legal ward in the home of the sponsor
Sponsor's can add a family member within 60 days of the qualifying life event and coverage is retroactive to the day of the event (i.e. marriage, birth, etc.).
TRICARE Enrollment Freeze
Starting Dec. 1 2017, there will be an enrollment freeze lasting approximately three weeks to allow the new TRICARE regional contractors time to transition your information. You will still be able to access care during the enrollment freeze. >> Learn more