Disenrolling from TRICARE Prime
You don't have to re-enroll every year to continue TRICARE Prime coverage, but certain events will cause you to be disenrolled.
Sponsor Status Change
Any change in the sponsor's status (e.g., active duty to retired, Guard/Reserve deactivation) will cause an automatic disenrollment. If you're still eligible for TRICARE Prime after the status change, you can:
- Re-enroll in TRICARE Prime
- You can re-enroll before the status change occurs to avoid a lapse in coverage.
Note: When an active duty service member retires, he/she will be required to pay annual enrollment fees to re-enroll in TRICARE Prime.
- Active duty service members can't disenroll from TRICARE Prime.
- All others can choose to disenroll at anytime. If you don't enroll in another plan, such as TRICARE Select, you'll only be able to receive care at military hospitals and clinics if space is available, and you will only be eligible for pharmacy benefits at military pharmacies.
You can disenroll from TRICARE Prime via:
- Web: Log into the Beneficiary Web Enrollment Portal
- Phone: Call your regional contractor.
- East: 1-800-444-5445
- Overseas: Call the Regional Call Center for your overseas area
Non-Payment of Enrollment Fees
If you don't pay your TRICARE Prime enrollment fees (if applicable), you'll be disenrolled. You have 90 days from the day you were disenrolled to catch back up on any missed payments without a break in coverage. If you don't catch back up on payments within 90 days, you can still re-enroll, but you will have a break in coverage.
Loss of Eligibility
If you lose eligibility for TRICARE, your TRICARE Prime coverage will automatically end.
- You may qualify for continued health coverage under the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP)
- If you don't qualify for TAMP, you can purchase temporary coverage through the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP).
- You're not required to purchase the CHCBP. Instead you may use employer’s sponsored health insurance, Medicaid or any other plan offered through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
Last Updated 11/19/2021