Active Duty Family Members

If entitled to Medicare Part A, you're not required to have Medicare Part B to keep your TRICARE benefits. You must have Part B to keep TRICARE once your sponsor retires.

Special Enrollment Period

The special enrollment period is available while your sponsor is on active duty or within the first eight months of his or her retirement.

  • If you enroll in Part B after your sponsor retires, you will have a break in TRICARE coverage.
  • To avoid this break, enroll in Part B before your sponsor retires.

If entitled to Medicare Part A because you have End Stage Renal Disease, you're encouraged to keep Part B when first eligible because you won’t be eligible for a special enrollment period.

If you decline or terminate Part B coverage, you may enroll in Medicare Part B during the general enrollment period which occurs each year January 1 through March 31. The Medicare Part B Late Enrollment PenaltyYour monthly premium for Part B may go up 10% for each full 12-month period that you could have had Part B, but didn't sign up for it. will apply.

General Enrollment Period

If you don't enroll in Medicare Part B during the special enrollment period, your next opportunity to enroll in Part B is during the general enrollment period (January 1 - March 31 each year). Your Part B coverage and TRICARE coverage will start the first day of the month after you sign up. You may also be required to pay the Medicare Part B Late Enrollment Penalty.

Want to order a hard copy of the TRICARE For Life Handbook? Call Wisconsin Physicians Service (WPS) at 1-866-773-0404.

Last Updated 2/6/2023