A Friendly Reminder: Keep Your DEERS Info Updated


Did you know that not keeping your family’s information current in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) could delay their access to health care? Errors can also cause delays with your claims and delivery of your prescriptions. Now is an important time to check your DEERS records. Whether you’re new to TRICARE or a regular beneficiary, keeping your information up to date in DEERS is critical. Doing so means you can access your TRICARE benefits and get the care you need.

What is DEERS?

DEERS is a database of active duty and retired service members, their family members, and others who are eligible for TRICARE. The database lists your military status, family status, contact information, TRICARE coverage plan, and more. You must show as registered in DEERS to access your TRICARE benefit. If you’re a sponsor, you’re automatically registered in DEERS, but you must register eligible family members. If both you and your spouse are service members and have a child, you should choose one parent to be listed as your child’s sponsor.

When should I update DEERS?

You should update your DEERS information whenever you experience a Qualifying Life Event (QLE). This could be a change in your sponsorship status, such as retiring or separating from active duty, which makes you ineligible for your existing coverage. Other QLEs include:

  • Getting married or divorced
  • Having a baby
  • Activating
  • Losing or gaining other health insuranceHealth insurance you have in addition to TRICARE, such as Medicare or an employer-sponsored health insurance. TRICARE supplements don’t qualify as "other health insurance."
  • Becoming eligible for Medicare
  • Death of a sponsor or family member

A QLE may allow you and eligible family members to enroll in a new TRICARE health plan or change your current health plan coverage. So be sure to update your DEERS record if you experience one. You also want to make sure your contact information, like phone numbers and email addresses, stays current. If your contact information is out of date, you might miss vital communications.

How do I update my DEERS record?

Changing your information in your DEERS record is easy, and you have a few options to do so. You can make changes online, by phone, fax, or mail, or in person at an ID card office. If you need to visit a local ID card office, be sure to call or check the website to see if operating hours or procedures for the ID card office have changed due to COVID-19.

To update contact information, choose one of these other options:

  • Online: Log in to milConnect
  • Phone: Call the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) at 1-800-538-9552 (TTY/TDD: 1-866-363-2883)
  • Fax: Fax updates to DMDC at 1-800-336-4416
  • Mail: Mail updates to:

Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office

Attention: COA

400 Gigling Road

Seaside, CA 93955-6771

To learn more about DEERS, visit www.tricare.mil/deers. Take command of your health and maintain the accuracy of DEERS records for you and your family.

At the time of posting, this information is current. Visit www.cdc.gov or TRICARE COVID Guidance for the most current COVID-19 information.

Last Updated 6/23/2020