Retired Service Members and Their Family





Relocation must be to a new country, and/or city, region, or zip +4 code to be a QLE. You have 90 days from the date of your address change to change your health plan.

You can transfer your TRICARE Prime coverage as long as TRICARE Prime is available in your new location.

  • You can only do two enrollment transfers each enrollment year
  • The second transfer must be back to the original enrollment region
  • Remember to also transfer your payments if you're changing regions/contractors

Moving within the Same TRICARE Region

Moving to another TRICARE Region in the United States

If you Move to a Prime Service Area

Call your new regional contractor to transfer your TRICARE Prime coverage after you move:

  • East RegionUnder the new regional contracts, the East Region is a merger of the North and South Regions and includes: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa (Rock Island area), Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri (St. Louis area), New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (excluding El Paso area), Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.—Humana Military: 1-800-444-5445
  • West RegionAlaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa (excludes Rock Island arsenal area), Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri (except St. Louis area), Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas (southwestern corner including El Paso), Utah, Washington and Wyoming.—Health Net Federal Services: 1-844-866-9378
You can also transfer your enrollment online or through the mail, but calling is the easiest and fastest way

If you Move to a Designated US Family Health Plan Location

If you Move to a Remote Location 

  • You’ll need to disenroll from TRICARE Prime 
  • You'll need to enroll in TRICARE Select 

Moving Overseas

When you move overseas, your only option is to enroll in TRICARE Select. You'll get care from any overseas provider. To find an overseas provider, search the overseas provider directory

If you have questions, call International SOS or visit a TRICARE Service Center.

Last Updated 12/20/2018