Transitional Assistance Management Program

The Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) provides 180 days of health care benefits after regular TRICARE benefits end. These benefits help with your transition. You also you don’t have to pay any premiums for TAMP.


Sponsors and eligible family members may be covered by TAMP in a few different situations. You’re covered by TAMP if your sponsor is:

  • Involuntarily separating from active duty under honorable conditions including:
    • Members who receive a voluntary separation incentive (VSI), or
    • Members who receive voluntary separation pay (VSP) and can’t receive retired or retainer pay upon separation.
  • A National Guard or Reserve member separating from a period of more than 30 consecutive days of active duty served for:
    • A preplanned mission,
    • Support of a contingency operation, or
    • Support of the government coronavirus (COVID-19) response.
  • Separating from active duty following involuntary retention (stop-loss) in support of a contingency operation
  • Separating from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency operation
  • Receiving a sole survivorship discharge
  • Separating from regular active duty service and agree to become a member of the Selected Reserve of a Reserve Component. The Service member must become a Selected Reservist the day immediately following release from regular active duty service to qualify.

Services determine and record your TAMP eligibility in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System(DEERS) A database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their family members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE. (DEERS). You can also see your eligibility for TAMP in milConnect. Service members should check with their Service personnel departments for more information or help assistance with TAMP eligibility.


If you qualify, your 180-day TAMP period begins on the same day that your separation begins. During TAMP, you and your family members can use one of the following health plan options to get care. Enrollment may be required.

Other active duty programs such as the Extended Care Health Option (ECHO) are also available during the TAMP period.

Does your child have TRICARE coverage through TAMP? If so, they will lose their TRICARE coverage after the 180-day TAMP period ends.

Coverage During Terminal Leave

You are not eligible for TAMP while on terminal leave. During terminal leave, you continue to receive active duty benefits. This means that you and your family members are still covered under your TRICARE plan, including:

  • TRICARE Prime,
  • TRICARE Prime Remote, or
  • TRICARE Select.

Line of Duty Care

Did you get injured or sick while on active duty? Did an injury or illness get worse while you were on active duty? Make sure to contact your unit or Service branch promptly. They can give you more information and help with medical or dental care.

Last Updated 5/11/2022