Transitional Assistance Management Program
The Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) provides 180 days of premium-free transitional health care benefits after regular TRICARE benefits end.
Sponsors and eligible family members may be covered by TAMP if the sponsor is:
- Involuntarily separating from active duty under honorable conditions including:
- Members who receive a voluntary separation incentive (VSI), or
- Members who receive voluntary separation pay (VSP) and aren't entitled to retired or retainer pay upon separation.
- A National Guard or Reserve member separating from a period of more than 30 consecutive days of active duty served for a preplanned mission or in support of a contingency operation.
- Separating from active duty following involuntary retention (stop-loss) in support of a contingency operation
- Separating from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency operation
- Receiving a sole survivorship discharge
- Separating from regular active duty service and agree to become a member of the Selected Reserve of a Reserve Component. The Service member must become a Selected Reservist the day immediately following release from regular active duty service to qualify.
TAMP eligibility is determined by the Services and documented in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting SystemClick to close(DEERS) A database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their family members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE.. TAMP eligibility can be viewed online via MilConnect. Service members should check with their Service personnel departments for information or assistance with TAMP eligibility.
For those who qualify, the 180-day TAMP period begins upon the sponsor's separation. During TAMP, sponsors and family members are eligible to use one of the following health plan options in addition to military hospitals and clinics:
- TRICARE Prime (where locally available, enrollment required)
- TRICARE Select
- US Family Health Plan (if you live in a designated location; enrollment required)
- TRICARE Prime Overseas (enrollment required)
- TRICARE Select Overseas
Other active duty programs such as the Extended Care Health Option are also available during the TAMP period.
Coverage During Terminal Leave
You are not eligible for TAMP while on terminal leave. During terminal leave, you continue to receive active duty benefits and your family members remain covered under TRICARE Prime, TRICARE Prime Remote, or TRICARE Select.
Line of Duty Care
If you believe you have incurred or aggravated an injury, illness, or disease while on active duty, promptly contact your unit or Service branch for information or assistance with medical or dental care.
If you think you may qualify to purchase TRICARE Reserve Select, contact your service personnel office for more information. TRICARE Reserve Select coverage begins after the TAMP period for those who qualify and purchase the plan. >>Learn More
Last Updated 1/9/2019