TRICARE Reserve Select®
TRICARE Reserve Select is:
- A premium-based plan
- Available worldwide
- For qualified Selected Reserve members and their families
Who Can Participate?
Members of the Selected Reserve (and their families) who meet the following qualifications:
- Not on active duty orders
- Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Not enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program
- Not eligible for the FEHB program as a sponsor
Note: Survivor coverage is not affected by FEHB eligibility.
Note: Those members in the Individual Ready Reserve including Navy Reserve Voluntary Training Units do not qualify to purchase TRICARE Reserve Select.
How it Works
Schedule an appointment with any TRICARE-authorized providerAn authorized provider is any individual, institution/organization, or supplier that is licensed by a state, accredited by national organization, or meets other standards of the medical community, and is certified to provide benefits under TRICARE. There are two types of TRICARE-authorized providers: Network and Non-Network. DS.
- If you visit a non-network provider, you'll pay higher cost shares and may have to file your own health care claims.
- If you visit a network provider, you'll pay lower cost shares and the provider will file health care claims for you.
- If you request an appointment at a military hospital or clinic if space is available.
Referrals are not required for any type of care, but you may need pre-authorization from your regional contractor for some types of services.
If you have Other Health InsuranceHealth insurance you have in addition to TRICARE, such as Medicare or an employer-sponsored health insurance. TRICARE supplements don’t qualify as "other health insurance.", visit the Using Other Health Insurance page.
Note: You can't be assigned a Primary Care Manager (PCM) at an MTF if enrolled in TRS. You can use any TRICARE-authorized provider as your Primary Care Provider PCP.
What You Pay
- Monthly premiums
- Annual deductible
- Cost share (or percentage) for covered services
Is TRICARE Reserve Select Right for You?
You can decide to use TRICARE Reserve Select if you're:
- a member of the Selected Reserves,
- not on active duty orders or covered by the Transitional Assistance Management Program, and
- not eligible for or enrolled in the FEHB.
The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activatedCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row. and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits. And, because you can see any provider, you don't have to change providers if you already have one.
How to Enroll
*Qualified Selected Reserve members located overseas may submit an enrollment request at a TRICARE Service Center.
Note: You have 90 days (120 if overseas) from the date of birth or adoption to add your child to your TRICARE Reserve Select coverage. Your child doesn't have coverage until you enroll him or her.
If you have questions regarding your eligibility, please contact your National Guard or Reserve Point of Contact.
Last Updated 6/12/2023