Skip to main content

TRICARE logo Go to TRICARE home

Bread Crumbs

TRICARE Young Adult

TRICARE Young Adult is a plan that qualified adult children can purchase after eligibility for "regular" TRICARE coverage ends at age 21 (or 23 if enrolled in college, learn more).

If purchased, TRICARE Young Adult meets or exceeds the requirements for minimum essential coverageBasic health care coverage that meets the Affordable Care Act requirement. If you don’t have coverage, you may have to pay a fee for each month you aren’t covered. under the Affordable Care Act.

Who Can Participate?

You may qualify to purchase TRICARE Young Adult if you're:

How it Works

How you get care depends on which option you select:

What You Pay

TRICARE Young Adult costs are based on three things:

  • The option you select when you enroll: Prime or Select
  • Your sponsor's military status
  • Where the care is received

To participate, you're required to pay monthly premiums, and then your plan option and sponsor's military status determine what you pay for covered services. >>Learn More

Is TRICARE Young Adult Right for You?

TRICARE Young Adult is an option for unmarried, adult children who have "aged out" of regular TRICARE coverage. The plan provides comprehensive medical and pharmacy benefits. You should review all of your health plan options (military or commercial) before deciding if TRICARE Young Adult is the right plan for you.

Note: You aren't eligible for TRICARE Young Adult if you're eligible for employer-sponsored health plan.

How to Enroll—4 Options

  1. Online
  2. Call your regional contractor
  3. Fax your enrollment form to your regional contractor
  4. Mail your enrollment form to your regional contractor

>>Visit the TRICARE Young Adult Enrollment Page for details.

You may live in a different region than your sponsor. If you're not sure, view the regions page to see which states are in each region.

Once you have enrolled you can download a TRICARE wallet card to take to your appointments but you must also show your military ID as proof of coverage.

For information on disenrolling or ending plan coverage, visit the Ending TRICARE Young Adult Coverage page.

Need a new ID card?

You can enroll in TRICARE Young Adult without a valid ID card. When your coverage begins, and you're notified by your regional contractor, visit any ID card office to get a new ID card. You should show your ID card when you go to the doctor.

Last Updated 11/29/2017

contact Your Contacts
East Region - Humana Military


West Region - Health Net Federal Services

Overseas - International SOS

Country-specific toll-free numbers

Overseas Website

View More Contacts