Graduating from College

Your eligibility for TRICARE ends when you graduate college or on your 23rd birthday, whichever comes first.

When you lose eligibility for TRICARE:

  • You may qualify to purchase TRICARE Young Adult for extended coverage up to age 26
  • If you don't qualify for TRICARE Young Adult or choose not to enroll, you can purchase the Continued Health Care Benefit Program for an additional 18-36 months
  • You can use employer-sponsored health insurance (if you have this, you won't qualify for TRICARE Young Adult)
  • You can use any other plan offered through the Health Insurance Marketplace.

If you leave college before your 23rd birthday or before you graduate, you also lose eligibility for TRICARE. If you have questions about your eligibility, please contact the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) Support Office.

Last Updated 4/1/2016