Attending Service Academies

The service academies include the:

When attending a service academy, you’re:

  • Eligible for medical and dental care
  • Covered like active duty service members

Note: This only applies to cadets at the service academies. This doesn’t apply to cadets in the Reserve Officer's Training Corps (ROTC).

Your eligibility may end when:

  • Your condition, or resulting disability, can’t be improved by further hospitalization or treatment
  • You’re released from active duty

Getting Medical Care

You’ll enroll in TRICARE Prime. You’ll get most care from a primary care manager (PCM) at your assigned military hospital or clinic.

You can get only care at an authorized civilian facility when pre-approved for an injury, illness or disease incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.  Routine care at a civilian facility isn’t covered. Remember to follow the instructions given to you by your service academy when seeking health care.

Getting Care When Traveling During School Breaks

You should get all of your routine care from your regular doctor before traveling during a school break. If you need care when traveling, here are some basic guidelines.

Emergency Care

  • Go to the nearest emergency roomThe hospital department that provides emergency services to patients who need immediate medical attention. or call 911.
  • Contact your PCM or regional contractor within 24 hours.

All Other Types of Care

  • You need a referral from your PCM for any urgent care.
  • You need a referral and authorization for treatment related to an injury, illness or disease incurred or aggravated in the line of duty
  • Routine care isn't covered outside of a military hospital or clinic.

Dental Coverage

Each service academy has a military dental clinic on site. You’ll get most of your dental care at your service academy’s military dental clinic. If the military dental clinic doesn’t have availability or the resources to provide the care, the clinic may refer you to a civilian dentist using the Active Duty Dental Program.

All referred care must be pre-approved by the referring military dental clinic

  • You must use a network dentist. To find a network dentist:
  • Claims for care from non-network dentists will be denied and may be held liable for the cost of the care.

Leaving College

Graduating Cadets

  • Proceed to your first duty station
  • Covered by TRICARE Prime

>>Learn more about coverage for new active duty service members

Non-Graduating Cadets

  • TRICARE coverage when you're released is determined by your Service (i.e. medical retirement or separation)
  • Separation leads to a loss of TRICARE coverage

>>Learn more about losing eligibility

Last Updated 8/19/2022