TRICARE Reserve Select®
TRICARE Reserve Select is:
- A premium-based plan
- Available worldwide
- For qualified Selected Reserve members and their families
If purchased, TRICARE Reserve Select meets or exceeds the requirements for minimum essential coverageBasic health care coverage that meets the Affordable Care Act requirement. under the Affordable Care Act.
Who Can Participate?
Members of the Selected Reserve (and their families) who meet the following qualifications:
- Not on active duty orders
- Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program
Note: Survivor coverage is not affected by FEHB eligibility.
Note: Those members in the Individual Ready Reserve including Navy Reserve Voluntary Training Units do not qualify to purchase TRICARE Reserve Select.
Certain members of the Selected Reserve who are covered by TRICARE Reserve Select and involuntarily separated under other than adverse conditionsA separation that is other than "honorable" or "general"., may have access to extended TRICARE Reserve Select coverage up to 180 days. For more information, contact your service personnel department.
How it Works
Schedule an appointment with any TRICARE-authorized providerAn authorized provider is any individual, institution/organization, or supplier that is licensed by a state, accredited by national organization, or meets other standards of the medical community, and is certified to provide benefits under TRICARE. There are two types of TRICARE-authorized providers: Network and Non-Network..
- If you visit a non-network provider, you'll pay higher cost shares and may have to file your own health care claims.
- If you visit a network provider, you'll pay lower cost shares and the provider will file health care claims for you.
Or, request an appointment at a military hospital or clinic on a space available basis.
Referrals are not required for any type of care, but you may need prior authorization from your regional contractor for some types of services.
What You Pay
>>View TRICARE Reserve Select Costs
Is TRICARE Reserve Select Right for You?
You can decide to use TRICARE Reserve Select if you're:
- a member of the Selected Reserves,
- not on active duty orders or covered by the Transitional Assistance Management Program, and
- not eligible for or enrolled in the FEHB.
The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activatedCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row. and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits. And, because you can see any provider, you don't have to change providers if you already have one.
How to Enroll
You can enroll online or by phone. Visit the TRS Enrollment page for more information.
If you don't qualify, you won't be able to complete or print the form. Contact your National Guard or Reserve personnel office for assistance. If you experience a technical problem, call 1-800-477-8227 for assistance.
>>Learn More about Purchasing TRICARE Reserve Select
For information on disenrolling or ending plan coverage, visit the Ending TRICARE Reserve Select Coverage page.