TRICARE Standard and Extra
TRICARE Standard and Extra is a fee-for-service plan available in the United States.
Who Can Participate?
How it Works
Schedule an appointment with any TRICARE-authorized providerAn authorized provider is any individual, institution/organization, or supplier that is licensed by a state, accredited by national organization, or meets other standards of the medical community, and is certified to provide benefits under TRICARE. There are two types of TRICARE-authorized providers: Network and Non-Network..
- If you visit a non-network provider, you're using the Standard option.
- If you visit a network provider, you're using the Extra option.
Referrals not required, but you may need prior authorization from your regional contractor for some services.
You won't receive a TRICARE wallet card when using TRICARE Standard. All you need is your military ID as proof of coverage.
Watch this video to learn how to get care when TRICARE Standard (and Extra) is your plan.
What You Pay
Costs vary based on the sponsor's military status. You'll pay:
- An annual outpatient deductible
- Cost shares (or percentage) for covered services
>>View TRICARE Standard and Extra Costs
Is TRICARE Standard and Extra Right for You?
- If you're on active duty (including activated Guard/Reserve members), you can't use TRICARE Standard and Extra.
- TRICARE Standard and Extra may be the right choice for you if: