TRICARE Prime Remote
TRICARE Prime Remote (TPR) is a managed care option available in remote areas in the United States. By law, you can only use TPR if both your sponsor's home and work addresses are more than 50 miles (or one hour's drive time) from a military hospital or clinic.
- Check the Plan Finder to see if you may qualify.
- Enrollment is required—no enrollment fees.
- You may be reimbursed for reasonable travel expensesAmounts you pay when traveling to and from your appointment. This includes mileage, meals, tolls, parking, lodging, local transportation, and tickets for public transportation. under the Prime Travel Benefit if you meet certain requirements.
If you're in a remote overseas location, you may be able to enroll in TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas.
Who Can Participate?
TPR is available in designated remote locations in the United States for:
- Active duty service members
ActivatedCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row. National Guard and Reserve members called or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row (Pre‐Activation/Pre‐Mobilization/Pre-Deployment/TDY orders aren't eligible)
- Active duty family members who live with TPR-enrolled sponsor
- Activated National Guard/Reserve family members if they live in a designated remote location when the sponsor is activated (and continue to reside at that address)
To see if you live in a designated remote location:
- Check your ZIP code online.
- Call your regional contractor.
How It Works
- You'll get most care from your primary care manager (PCM)
- You may have a network PCM, if available
- If not, select any TRICARE-authorized providerAn authorized provider is any individual, institution/organization, or supplier that is licensed by a state, accredited by national organization, or meets other standards of the medical community, and is certified to provide benefits under TRICARE. There are two types of TRICARE-authorized providers: Network and Non-Network. DS as your PCM.
- Your PCM:
- Refers you to specialists for care he or she can't provide
- Works with your regional contractor for referrals/authorization
- Helps find a specialist in the network
- Files claims for you
What You Pay
- No enrollment fees
- No out-of-pocket costs for any type of care as long as care is received from your PCM or with a referral.
- Care received without a referral is subject to point-of-service fees.
Is TRICARE Prime Remote Right for You?
TPR is only available to active duty service members (including activated Guard/Reserve members) and their families who live and work in designated remote locations.
- If you're on active duty, you have to enroll if you live and work in a remote area.
- Family members can choose to enroll in TRICARE Select.
- TPR offers fewer out-of-pocket costs than TRICARE Select, but less freedom of choice for providers.
- If you have other health insuranceHealth insurance you have in addition to TRICARE, such as Medicare or an employer-sponsored health insurance. TRICARE supplements don’t qualify as "other health insurance.", TPR might not be right for you.
How To Enroll
>>Visit the TRICARE Prime Remote Enrollment Page to Learn More
For information on disenrolling or ending plan coverage, visit the Disenrolling in TRICARE Prime Remote page.
Looking for information on Determination of Eligibility requests? >> Learn more
Last Updated 3/9/2023