Moving with TRICARE from Overseas to Stateside Duty


When you move from an overseas assignment to a new location stateside, your TRICARE eligibility doesn’t change, but your health plan options may. You need to take action by updating your personal information, reviewing health plans you may be eligible for, and transferring your and your family’s TRICARE enrollment. Following some simple steps can help you make a smooth transition to your new location.

Plan Ahead Before You Move

Moving from overseas to stateside is a Qualifying Life Event (QLE). A QLE opens a 90-day period for you and your family to make enrollment changes. A QLE for one family member creates a chance for all eligible family members to change their health plan. Learn about what TRICARE health plans you and your family may now qualify for by using the TRICARE Plan Finder. Then take the time to review your health plan options and download the TRICARE Plans Overview.

“Before you move is the best time to get familiar with your TRICARE plan options in your new location,” said Danielle McCammon, health care analyst for the TRICARE Overseas Program Office at the Defense Health Agency. “Keep in mind that some family members may be eligible for different plans.”

Active duty service members (ADSMs) are only eligible for TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Prime Remote. Active duty family members may enroll in TRICARE Select and, in certain areas, TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Prime Remote. The US Family Health Plan is also a TRICARE Prime option in six areas of the U.S.

In addition, be sure to know which region you’re moving to. While overseas only has one region, there are two stateside regions: East and West. Each region has its own regional contractor. Not every document is mailed, so be sure to register online with your new contractor so you don’t miss important TRICARE-related information.

Don’t disenroll from your health plan before you move. You’re covered by your current plan while traveling to your new location.

“After you review your health plan options, your new regional contractor can confirm your eligibility and help ensure a smooth transfer of your TRICARE enrollment,” said McCammon.

Take Action After You Move

There are a few things you can do to help make sure you don’t have a break in coverage. The steps to transfer your enrollment are different based on who you are. After you move, follow these steps:

  • Update your address and other personal information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). You may do this online, by phone, by mail, or fax.
  • Update your new regional contractor. Tell your new regional contractor and all medical providers if you have other health insurance (OHI) in addition to TRICARE. This includes national health insurance programs, Medicare, or an employer-sponsored health insurance plan. TRICARE pays after all OHI. OHI doesn’t apply to ADSMs.
  • If you want to make changes to your or your family member’s health plans, log in to milConnect. You can also mail an enrollment form to your regional contractor or contact them by phone. You’ll have 90 days from when you move to make changes to your plan. If you make changes to your plan, the effective date will be the date your address change is effective in DEERS.
Take command of your health and learn more about what you need to do before or after moving with TRICARE. If you have questions about your move from an overseas to stateside assignment, contact your TRICARE Overseas Program Regional Call Center.
At the time of posting, this information is current. For the most recent information, contact your TRICARE contractor or local military hospital or clinic.

Last Updated 10/14/2021