TRICARE Young Adult
TRICARE Young Adult is a plan that qualified adult children can purchase after eligibility for "regular" TRICARE coverage ends at age 21 (or 23 if enrolled in college, learn more).
Who Can Participate?
You may qualify to purchase TRICARE Young Adult if you're:
- An unmarried, adult child of an eligible sponsorEligible sponsors for TRICARE Young Adult includes:
- Active duty service members
- Retired service members
- Activated Guard and Reserve members
- Non-activated Guard and Reserve members using TRICARE Reserve Select
- Retired Guard and Reserve members using TRICARE Retired Reserve
- Unremarried former spouses registered in DEERS under their own Social Security number
- At least age 21 but not yet 26 years old.
- If enrolled in a full course of study at an approved institution of higher learning and your sponsor provides more than 50 percent of your financial support, your eligibility may not begin until age 23 or upon graduation, whichever comes first.
- Not eligible to enroll in an employer-sponsored health plan based on your own employment
- Not otherwise eligible for TRICARE coverage
How it Works
How you get care depends on which option you select:
What You Pay
TRICARE Young Adult costs are based on three things:
- The option you select when you enroll: Prime or Select
- Your sponsor's military status
- Where the care is received
To participate, you're required to pay monthly premiums, and then your plan option and sponsor's military status determine what you pay for covered services.
Is TRICARE Young Adult Right for You?
TRICARE Young Adult is an option for unmarried, adult children who have "aged out" of regular TRICARE coverage. The plan provides comprehensive medical and pharmacy benefits. You should review all of your health plan options (military or commercial) before deciding if TRICARE Young Adult is the right plan for you.
Note: You aren't eligible for TRICARE Young Adult if you're eligible for employer-sponsored health plan.
How to Enroll—4 Options
- Call your regional contractor
- Fax your enrollment form to your regional contractor
- Mail your enrollment form to your regional contractor
You may live in a different region than your sponsor. If you're not sure, view the regions page to see which states are in each region.
For information on disenrolling or ending plan coverage, visit the Ending TRICARE Young Adult Coverage page.
Last Updated 5/9/2022