TRICARE Retired Reserve®
TRICARE Retired Reserve is:
- A premium-based plan
- Available worldwide
- For qualified Select Reserve members and their families
Who Can Participate?
- Retired Reserve members who are:
- Members of the retired Reserve of a Reserve Component who are qualified for non-regular retirement under 10 U.S.C., Chapter 1223
- Under age 60
- Not eligible for, or enrolled in, the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program
- Family members of qualified Retired Reserve members
- Survivors of retired Reserve members if:
- The sponsor was covered by TRICARE Retired Reserve when he or she died.
- They are immediate family members of the deceased sponsor (spouses cannot have remarried).
- TRICARE Retired Reserve coverage would begin before the date the deceased sponsor would have turned 60 years old.
- Survivor coverage is not affected by FEHB eligibility.
How it Works
Schedule an appointment with any TRICARE-authorized providerClick to closeAn authorized provider is any individual, institution/organization, or supplier that is licensed by a state, accredited by national organization, or meets other standards of the medical community, and is certified to provide benefits under TRICARE. There are two types of TRICARE-authorized providers: Network and Non-Network..
- If you visit a non-network provider, you'll pay higher cost shares and may have to file your own health care claims.
- If you visit a network provider, you'll pay lower cost shares and the provider will file health care claims for you.
Or, request an appointment at a military hospital or clinic on a space available basis.
Referrals are not required but you may need prior authorization from your regional contractor for some types of services.
What You Pay
- Monthly premiums
- Annual deductible
- Cost share (or percentage) for covered services
Is TRICARE Retired Reserve Right for You?
TRICARE Retired Reserve may be the right option for you and your family if you qualify. The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage upon your retirement and you do not have to wait until you reach age 60 and begin drawing retired pay to purchase the plan. Plus, because you can see any provider, you don't have to change providers if you already have one.
How to EnrollYou can enroll online or by phone*. For more information, visit the TRR Enrollment page.
If you don't qualify, you won't be able to complete or print the form. Contact your National Guard or Reserve personnel office for assistance. If you experience a technical problem, call 1-800-477-8227 for assistance.
For information on disenrolling or ending plan coverage, visit the Ending TRICARE Ready Reserve Coverage page.
*Retired Reserve members located overseas may submit an enrollment request at a TRICARE Service Center.
If you have questions regarding your eligibility, please contact your National Guard or Reserve Point of Contact.
Last Updated 12/19/2018