Request or Transfer Records to/from Veterans Affairs

How to Transfer Your Records to VA

When you’re an active, Guard and Reserve service member, and you leave military service, the Department of Defense (DoD) sends some information to the Department of Veterans' Affairs (VA). Depending on your health history and dates of service, the VA may access your DoD electronic health record. 

If you're not eligible for VA health care, bring paper copies of your health record to your new provider. To get copies of your health record, you can:

How to Request Your Records From VA

For your records that aren’t available through the Joint Electronic Health Record (joint HIE), you can request your VA records through:

Method Follow these steps
In-person, mail, or fax
Electronic VA records
  • You can review, print, save, download, and share your VA medical records and personal health information using VA Blue Button
  • Access your VA medical records online at My HealtheVet (MHV)
    • Register your account by clicking on the green button near the top page.
    • You must have a premium account to access portions of your VA Heath record. >>Learn more.
  • Once you’re in your My HealtheVet premium account, select “Health Records”.
    • On the Health Records page, you’ll options to access your VA medical records:
      • VA Blue Button Report
      • VA Health Summary
      • VA Medical Images and Reports.

Note: If your records aren’t available online, you’ll need to submit your request in-person, by mail, or by fax.

Last Updated 7/5/2023