Diabetic Supplies and Equipment
TRICARE covers diabetic supplies through the pharmacy and/or medical benefits.
You can get the following diabetic supplies from a military pharmacy, through home delivery, or at a TRICARE retail network pharmacy. Your prescription copayments will apply.
- Insulin products
- FreeStyle Lite and Precision Xtra blood glucose strips
- Blood and urine ketone/acetone test strips
- Diabetic syringes, needles, and lancets
- Abbott Freestyle Libre 2 and the Dexcom G6 continuous glucose monitoring systems (CGMs)
- To get a CGM from your pharmacy, you must have a pre-authorization even if you’ve received approval under your medical benefit
- If you are overseas, you can get a CGM from a military pharmacy, if available, or through mail order.
- If you get a CGM from a local, non-military pharmacy, you must pay in full and file a claim for reimbursement
- If you are enrolled in the US Family Health Plan (USFHP), you must use a USFHP pharmacy provider. You’re not eligible for the TRICARE Pharmacy Program.
If you use TRICARE For Life, check coverage under Medicare.
TRICARE covers the following diabetic supplies as durable medical equipment:
- Home glucose monitors
- CGM devices approved by the Food and Drug Administration when there is documentation by the physician of:
- Poor diabetic control after six months of multiple daily insulin injections or insulin pump therapy
- Blood glucose self-testing at least four times a day
- Completion of a diabetic education program
- Insulin infusion pumps if you have:
- Insulin-dependent type 1 diabetes mellitus. You must have a diagnosis of poor diabetic control.
- Cystic fibrosis related diabetes
- Documented Type 2 diabetes. The documentation must include a:
- Diagnosis of poor diabetic control and
- Failure to achieve glycemic control after six months of multiple daily injection therapy
Do you have more questions about what’s covered?
- For pharmacy coverage, contact Express Scripts.
- For medical coverage, contact your regional contractor.
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessaryTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 6/13/2022