TRICARE Dental Coverage Options Keep Your Smile Healthy


Let’s kickoff National Children’s Dental Health Month by looking at how you can keep your and your family’s smile healthy with TRICARE dental options. If you’re new to TRICARE dental or need a refresher, there are three dental options. These options are separate from TRICARE health care options. They include:

Eligibility for each plan varies. But here are the main things to keep in mind: your duty status, location, and family needs.

Active Duty Dental Program

The ADDP is available only for active duty service members (ADSMs). ADDP is available when not getting care at a military dental clinic. But to use the ADDP, ADSMs must either:

  • Have a referral for care by a military dental clinic to a civilian dentist
  • Have a duty location and live more than 50 miles from a military dental clinic

National Guard and Reserve members are eligible for the ADDP only if they have active duty orders issued for more than 30 days for a federal preplanned mission or in support of a contingency operation.

United Concordia administers the ADDP in the U.S. and U.S. territories. In all other overseas locations, International SOS Government Services, Inc. coordinates ADDP dental care services. You can find a list of covered services and more plan details on the ADDP website. Also, check out the TRICARE Active Duty Dental Program Brochure.

TRICARE Dental Program

For family members of ADSMs and National Guard and Reserve members, TDP is an option. National Guard and Reserve members not on active duty can also enroll in TDP. TDP is administered by United Concordia. It’s available stateside and overseas.

You must enroll in TDP for coverage. To be eligible, your sponsor must have at least 12 months left on his or her military service commitment at the time of enrollment. If you live in the continental U.S. (CONUS), you can go to any licensed and authorized dentist. But there are dentists in the United Concordia network that you can use, which can minimize your out-of-pocket costs. The CONUS service areaUnited States, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands includes 50 United States, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Similarly, you may visit any licensed dentist outside the continental U.S. (OCONUS), which includes areas not in the CONUS service area and covered services provided aboard a ship or vessel outside the territorial waters of the CONUS service area. Or, you can find a TRICARE OCONUS Preferred Dentist.

You can learn more about TDP and how to enroll in the TRICARE Dental Program Handbook and TRICARE Dental Program Brochure.

Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program

Retired service members and their eligible family members can get dental coverage through FEDVIP. Eligibility also includes retired National Guard and Reserve members and their eligible family members. The U.S. Office of Personnel Management offers FEDVIP.

If you want coverage, you need to enroll in a FEDVIP dental plan. You may enroll in a dental plan following a FEDVIP qualifying life event or during the annual Federal Benefits Open Season. FEDVIP offers a range of plans from a number of dental carriers. Some provide dental services nationwide and overseas.

Find out how to enroll in a FEDVIP dental plan and carrier options on the FEDVIP website.

Remember, dental coverage is based on your eligibility. If you’re eligible and want dental coverage, take command of your dental health and enroll in a plan. Before doing so, take some time to learn which plan is best for you and your family. You can review the Dental Plans page and TRICARE Dental Options Fact Sheet to learn more.

Last Updated 10/14/2021