Safely Dispose of Drugs
Are you in the United States or a U.S. Territory? You can safely dispose of your unwanted, unused or expired prescription drugs at military pharmacies.
If you're outside of the U.S., follow your host nation's rules for drug disposal.
How Does Drug Take Back Work?
Military pharmacies offer one or both of the following Drug Take Back options:
- Mail-in envelopes you can pick up and take with you
- Secure bins where you can drop your unwanted drugs onsite
Please follow the instructions on the envelope or secure bin for proper disposal. You can find out which option your pharmacy has by calling or searching online.
To see how to dispose of items not allowed through the Drug Take Back program, visit the Environmental Protection Agency Website.
Why is Drug Take Back Important?
Practicing good drug disposal habits protects you, your family, and your community.
Proper drug disposal:
- Helps prevent accidental drug misuse and drug abuse.
- Reduces chemicals that go into our water systems and the environment.
Prescription pain drugs are the second most commonly abused drugs in the U.S.
- When used as directed, prescription drugs are safe and effective.
- When abused, prescription drugs can be dangerous, addictive, and deadly.
Can't Get to a Military Pharmacy?
You can safely dispose of your drugs at home! >>Learn More
Last Updated 9/3/2019