Back to School
TRICARE can help get your child ready for school in the following ways.
- TRICARE covers some school physicals
- TRICARE doesn't cover sports physicals
Most schools require up-to-date immunizations. Be sure to check your school district’s rules and requirements. TRICARE covers age-appropriate doses of vaccines.
- You can get required vaccines from any TRICARE authorized provider.
- Many are also available at participating retail network pharmacies.
It's a good idea to get eye exams before school begins.
- Children of active duty service members can get annual eye exams.
- Children of retired service members with TRICARE Prime can get eye exams every two years.
You may be able to get dental coverage through the TRICARE Dental Program. If eligible, you can enroll your child at any time. There may be other dental options as well. >>Learn more.
Preparing for First Week Jitters
Some children are excited to get back to school with their friends. But for others, it can be overwhelming.
- Many children may be nervous or scared about meeting new friends and teachers.
- Others may be heading to a new school because they are entering a new grade or because they have moved.
It's important to make sure your kids are adjusting. Usually, these feelings subside quickly as kids get involved in school. TRICARE covers mental health services for kids and families who may need some extra help adjusting. >>Learn more.
Make Healthy Choices Daily
You can help your children make healthy choices each day. See these pages for information on how to live healthy:
Total Force Fitness
Sleep for Kids
Going to College
Children can get TRICARE while enrolled in college until their 23rd birthday or until they graduate, whichever comes first. After that, children may qualify to purchase TRICARE Young Adult. You must enter your child's student status in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System(DEERS) A database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their family members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE. (DEERS). DEERS is a database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their family members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE. Check with DEERS to see what information is needed.
Health care options for college students depend on where their school is. >>Learn more.
Back to School Resources
There are many additional programs and resources you can use to get help. Read below to see what is right for you.
- Managing Diabetes at School
- Information on Parasites and Lice
- Growing Up with Vaccines: What Should Parents Know?
Back to School Tips
Resources for Children with Deployed Parents
Last Updated 1/4/2023