Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Examinations
TRICARE covers the following services when provided during a covered Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (HP&DP) exam.
- Blood Pressure Screening
- Chlamydia and Gonorrhea Screening for sexually active women under age 24 and older women who are at increased risk for infection.
- Cholesterol Screening
- Diabetes Mellitus (Type II) Screening for those who have high blood pressure (above 135/80) and adults between 40-70 years old who are overweight or obese.
- Hepatitis B and C Screenings for those at high risk of infection. Hepatitis C should also be covered as a one-time screening for adults born between 1945 and 1965.
- HIV Screening if you are between 15 and 65. If you are a child or adult at increased risk, then you should also be screened.
- Intensive Behavioral Counseling for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs).
- Osteoporosis Screening
- Routine Eye Exams
- Rubella Antibodies
- Prenatal Screening
- Syphilis Infection Screening
- Tuberculosis Screening
TRICARE covers the following services as part of good clinical practice. These are integrated into office visits at no additional charge:
- Body mass index
- Patient and parent education/counseling for:
- Accident and injury prevention
- Cancer surveillance
- Depression, stress, bereavement, and suicide risk assessment
- Dietary assessment and nutrition
- Intimate partner violence and abuse
- Physical activity and exercise
- Promoting dental health
- Risk reduction for skin cancer
- Safe sexual practices
- Tobacco, alcohol and substance abuse
Are you enrolled in TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Select?
If you are age 6 or older, there are no copayments for HP&DP exams. One HP&DP exam is covered annually.
If you are age 6-21, your annual examination may also include:
The American Academy of Pediatrics and Bright Futures guidelines recommends these services.
Last Updated 6/18/2020