TRICARE covers breastfeeding counseling at no cost in two ways:
- As part of the care provided during:
- An inpatient maternity stay
- A follow-up outpatient visit
- A well-child care visit
- Up to six separate outpatient sessions when the breastfeeding counseling is:
- Billed as a preventive service
- The only service being provided
- Provided by a TRICARE authorized provider, outpatient hospital, or clinic
- This is effective for care provided on or after December 19, 2014
See Also: Breast Pumps and Supplies
Read Questions and Answers about Breast Pumps, Breast Pump Supplies and Breastfeeding Counseling
Only if they are also a TRICARE-authorized doctor, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, nurse midwife, or registered nurse.
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessaryTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 6/18/2020