If You're Married to a Service Member
If you're married to an active duty, retired or Guard-Reserve service member:
- You can continue to use TRICARE after you separate from the military
- You must be listed in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) as your spouse's dependent.
- Your spouse will be your sponsor
To make sure you're eligible as your spouse's dependent after you separate:
- Visit a local ID card office with your spouse to be added to his/her DEERS record
- Call first to verify business hours or to set up an appointment
- Or, set up an appointment online
You'll get a new "dependent" ID card. If you have children and they're listed as your dependents in DEERS, they will also need to be added as your spouse's dependents.
After you're added to DEERS with your spouse (or sponsor), you're eligible for TRICARE. Your health plan options are based on your sponsor's military status:
- Active Duty Serivce Members and Their Families
- Retired Service Members and Their Families
- National Guard/Reserve Members and Their Families
- Retired National Guard/Reserve Members and Their Families
Last Updated 12/22/2020