TRICARE covers age-appropriate doses of vaccines, as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- TRICARE regularly adds coverage for new vaccines based on CDC recommendations.
- You can also talk to your provider or regional contractor to see if the vaccine you need is covered.
Getting Vaccines from a TRICARE-Authorized ProviderClick to closeAn authorized provider is any individual, institution/organization, or supplier that is licensed by a state, accredited by national organization, or meets other standards of the medical community, and is certified to provide benefits under TRICARE. There are two types of TRICARE-authorized providers: Network and Non-Network.
You can get covered vaccines from any TRICARE-authorized provider. TRICARE covers vaccines at no cost. But when you get the vaccine from your provider, you may have to pay copayments or cost-shares for the office visit or for other services received during the office visit. copaymentClick to closeA fixed dollar amount you may pay for a covered health care service or drug. and cost-shareClick to closeA percentage of the total cost of a covered health care service that you pay. amounts vary according to your plan.
Enrolled in a Prime option? Visit your primary care manager or a network provider to avoid point-of service-fees.
Getting Vaccines at Network Pharmacies
You can get some covered vaccines for $0 at participating network pharmacies. To find a pharmacy that participates in the vaccine program:
- Search online or
- Call 1-877-363-1303
Be sure to call the pharmacy first to:
- Verify the days and times you can come in for a vaccine.
- See if there are any restrictions.
- Make sure the pharmacy has the vaccine you need.
- Make sure a pharmacist gives the vaccines and not a provider to avoid potential out-of-pocket costs.
Vaccines Needed for Travel Outside of the United States
- TRICARE only covers these vaccines for active duty family members traveling with their sponsor on permanent change of duty station orders or other official travel.
- Claims must include a copy of the travel orders or other official documentation to verify the official travel requirement.
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessaryClick to closeTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 5/29/2019