Stem Cell Transplants
TRICARE covers stem cell transplants, with or without high dose chemotherapy, for certain indications. The following are forms of stem cell transplant that TRICARE covers:
- Autologous bone marrow transplant (ABMT) with high dose chemotherapy
- Autologous peripheral stem cell transplant (PSCT)
- Allogeneic bone marrow transplant (BMT)
- Allogeneic peripheral stem cell transplant
- Umbilical cord blood stem cell transplant (UCBT)
TRICARE doesn't cover:
- Transportation of an organ donor or pancreatic islet transplant
- Stem cell transplants if the patient has another existing illness that would jeopardize the achievement of successful transplant or if stem cell transplant is not a proven treatment for the beneficiary's condition.
TRICARE may cover the cost of pre- and post-transplant non-medical expenses (i.e., out-of-hospital living expenses such as hotels or meals), for beneficiaries who qualify for the Prime Travel Benefit.
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessaryClick to closeTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 10/3/2018