TRICARE covers speech therapy to treat speech, language and voice dysfunctions resulting from birth defects, disease, injury, hearing loss and pervasive developmental disorders. A referral or prescription is needed before obtaining speech therapy services. Contact your primary care manager if using TRICARE Prime or your family provider if using TRICARE Select.
TRICARE doesn't cover services for:
- Disorders resulting from occupational or educational deficits
- Myofunctional or tongue thrust therapy
- Videofluroscopy evaluation
- Maintenance therapy that does not require a skilled level after a therapy program has been designed
- Special education services from a public educational agency to beneficiaries age 3-21
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessaryTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 10/3/2018