Partial Hospitalization (Psychiatric and Substance Use Disorder)
TRICARE covers authorized partial hospitalization program facilities for mental health and substance use disorders.
You may qualify for partial hospitalization if you:
- Are seeking treatment in the U.S. and its territories.
- Have mental health or substance use disorder problems.
- Can function with support in some of your major life areas.
- Don’t need to be in a hospital full time.
- Have a significant impairment that interferes with your normal functioning.
- Require medically monitored management of withdrawal symptoms (detoxification) with direct access to medical services.
- Need stabilization, have acute symptoms, need treatment for partially stabilized mental health disorders, or are transitioning from an inpatient program.
- Are unable to maintain yourself in the community with a lower level of outpatient services.
You don’t need to get prior authorization.
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessaryClick to closeTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 6/28/2019