Skip to main content
Emergency Procedures in Place for Hurricane Michael
Click here for the latest information on emergency procedures in place.

Covered Services

Learn more about what we cover -
including health, dental, and pharmacy.

Inpatient Hospital Services

You don’t need to get prior authorization for emergency services. But you do need approval for ongoing treatment.

You do need prior authorization for non-emergency inpatient hospital services.

Emergency Services

TRICARE covers emergency inpatient hospital services when:

  • You have a medical or psychiatric emergency
  • You need immediate hospital admission

You will get treatment at the closest hospital that can provide your care.

If you have a mental health or substance use disorder, we will cover emergency inpatient hospital services for:

  • Management of withdrawal symptoms (Detoxification)
  • Your stabilization
  • Any medical complications you may have from your disorder 

Non-emergency Services

We cover inpatient psychiatric hospitalization for:

  • Diagnosis and treatment of mental health
  • Substance use disorders

You may get care in:

  • Private psychiatric hospitals
  • Local, state, or federal government psychiatric hospitals

These facilities help you with management of mental health conditions that require:

  • Around the clock care
  • Medically monitored treatment

You may receive approval for inpatient psychiatric hospitalization, if you:

  • Pose a serious risk of harm to yourself or others
  • Need specialized medication
  • Need psychological treatment
  • Have a significant impairment in functioning
  • Need to be in a hospital full-time
  • Are unable to maintain yourself in the community with only outpatient services

Last Updated 10/3/2018