Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
TRICARE covers hyperbaric oxygen therapyClick to closeThe medical use of oxygen at a level higher than atmospheric pressure. The patient breathes pure oxygen in a pressurized room or tube.. when provided as treatment for:
- Decompression sickness
- Air or gas embolism
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Profound blood loss, when transfusion can't be accomplished
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy must be provided by an approved institutional provider, such as a hospital or specialized treatment facility.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy may be covered as an addition to standard therapy for:
- Acute soft tissue injury (i.e., crush injury, compartment syndrome, acute traumatic peripheral ischemia, blast injury)
- Clostridial myositis and myonecrosis
- Compromised skin grafts and/or flaps
- Chronic, severe, and/or gangrenous diabetic foot wounds
- Osteomyelitis refractory to standard medical management
- Other indications when proven safe, effective, comparable or superior to standard care.
TRICARE doesn't cover hyperbaric oxygen therapy for:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Cerebral palsy
- An additional therapy for the treatment of thermal burns
Topical application of oxygen is also not covered.
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessaryClick to closeTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 10/3/2018