|Covered by TRICARE?||Limits|
TRICARE covers breastfeeding counseling at no cost in two ways:
- As part of the care provided during:
- An inpatient maternity stay
- A follow-up outpatient visit
- A well-child care visit
- Up to six separate outpatient sessions when the breastfeeding counseling is:
- Billed as a preventive service
- The only service being provided
- Provided by a TRICARE authorized provider, outpatient hospital, or clinic
- This is effective for care provided on or after December 19, 2014
See Also: Breast Pumps and Supplies
Read Questions and Answers about Breast Pumps, Breast Pump Supplies and Breastfeeding Counseling
Can I get breastfeeding counseling from an Independent Board-Certified Lactation Consultant or Certified Lactation Counselor?
Only if they are also a TRICARE-authorized doctor, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, nurse midwife, or registered nurse.