TRICARE covers abortions only when:
- The pregnancy is the result of an act of rape or incest.
- A physician must note in the patient’s medical record that it is their good faith belief, based on all available information, that the pregnancy was the result of an act of rape or incest.
- The life of the mother is at risk.
- The physician must certify that the abortion was performed because the life of the mother would be endangered if the fetus were carried to term.
TRICARE also covers medical and/or mental health services related to the covered abortion.
You can get covered abortions from TRICARE-authorized providers including:
- Hospital outpatient departments
- Freestanding ambulatory surgery centers
- Individual providers
TRICARE doesn't cover:
- Services and supplies related to a non-covered abortion
- Counseling, referral, preparation and follow-up for a non-covered abortion
- Abortions for fetal abnormality or for psychological reasons
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessaryTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 6/18/2020