Residential Treatment CentersTRICARE covers Psychiatric Residential Treatment Centers. These centers help you with psychiatric conditions that require a 24-hour protected and highly structured therapeutic environment.
You may receive approval for residential treatment if you:
- Are under 21 years old.
- Have a primary diagnosis other than a substance use disorder.
- Have significant impairment that interferes with your normal functioning.
- Are unable to function in the community with only outpatient services.
- Don’t need to be in a hospital full-time.
- Are transitioning from another program as part of treatment plan.
You need to get prior authorization.
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessaryTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 5/17/2019