TRICARE only covers morbid obesity surgery such as gastric bypass, gastric stapling, sleeve gastrectomy, stand-alone laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and gastroplasty when the beneficiary meets one of the following conditions:
- Is 100 pounds over ideal weight for height and bone structure and has one of these associated conditions: diabetes mellitus, hypertension, cholecystitis, narcolepsy, Pickwickian syndrome, hypothalamic disorders or severe arthritis of the weight-bearing joints
- Is 200 percent or more over ideal weight for height and bone structure
- Has had intestinal bypass or other surgery for obesity and because of complications, requires another surgery
TRICARE doesn't cover:
- Nonsurgical treatment of obesity, morbid obesity, dietary control or weight reduction
- Biliopancreatic bypass, gastric bubble or balloon, or gastric wrapping for the treatment of morbid obesity
Note for Active Duty Service Members: Bariatric surgery represents a major and permanent change in your digestive system that requires strict adherence to a specific dietary regimen that may interfere with operational deployment. A history of bariatric surgery is already a bar to military service and receiving bariatric surgery while on active duty may be grounds for separation. For more information, view the Health Affairs Policy 07-006.
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessaryTo be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
Last Updated 3/20/2022