Forms & Claims

You can access commonly used forms below or browse the menu on the left for more information.

Do you need an enrollment form?

Below are helpful links about your TRICARE eligibility:

Do you need a pharmacy form?

Do you need a dental form?

  • Make an appealClick to closeThe action you take if you don’t agree with a decision made about your benefit.
  • Request an appointment (active duty service members in remote locations)
  • Submit a claim
  • Document dental health from a civilian provider (National Guard and Reserve members)
  • Submit a fraud complaint or grievanceClick to closeYou can file a grievance when:
    - You have a complaint about the quality of care you received,
    - A provider or facility behaved inappropriately, or
    - You have any other non-appealable issue.
    The grievance may be against any member of your health care team. This includes your TRICARE doctor, your contractor, or a subcontractor.
  • Request authorization for disclosure of health information

For all Active Duty Dental Program forms, click here.

For all TRICARE Dental Program forms, click here.

Are you a remotely located Active Duty or Reserve Component service member?

You'll submit forms to Defense Health Agency-Great Lakes to do the following:

Are you looking for another form?

Last Updated 10/15/2019