TRICARE Prime is a managed care option available in Prime Service AreasClick to closeGeographic areas in the U.S. where we offer TRICARE Prime. They ensure medical readiness of active duty by adding to the capability and capacity of military hospitals and clinics. Prime Service Areas were also built around the Base Realignment and Closure sites..
- Check the Plan Finder to see if you live in a Prime Service Area
- Enrollment is required; some beneficiaries pay annual enrollment fees.
Additional Prime options for active duty service members and their families include:
Who Can Participate?
- Active duty service members and their families
- Retired service members and their families*
- ActivatedClick to closeCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row. Guard/Reserve members and their families
- Non-activated Guard/Reserve members and their families who qualify for care under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Retired Guard/Reserve members at age 60 and their families*
- Medal of Honor recipients and their families
- Qualified former spouses
*When retired service members and their families become eligible for Medicare based on age, they aren't eligible to enroll in TRICARE Prime.
How it Works
You have an assigned primary care manager (PCM) who provides most of your care.
- Military or network provider
- Refers you to specialists for care he or she can't provide
- Works with your regional contractor for referrals/authorization
- Accepts your copaymentClick to closeA fixed dollar amount you may pay for a covered health care service or drug. and files claims for you
What You Pay
>>View TRICARE Prime Costs
Is TRICARE Prime Right for You?
- If you're on active duty, you have to enroll in TRICARE Prime.
- All others can choose to enroll in TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Select.
- TRICARE Prime offers fewer out-of-pocket costs than TRICARE Select, but less freedom of choice for providers.
- If you have other health insuranceClick to closeHealth insurance you have in addition to TRICARE, such as Medicare or an employer-sponsored health insurance. TRICARE supplements don’t qualify as "other health insurance.", TRICARE Prime might not be right for you.
How to Enroll—3 Options
- Online via the Beneficiary Web Enrollment website
- Call your regional contractor
- East RegionClick to closeUnder the new regional contracts, the East Region is a merger of the North and South Regions and includes: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa (Rock Island area), Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri (St. Louis area), New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (excluding El Paso area), Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.: 1-800-444-5445
- West RegionClick to closeAlaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa (excludes Rock Island arsenal area), Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri (except St. Louis area), Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas (southwestern corner including El Paso), Utah, Washington and Wyoming.: 1-844-866-9378
- Mail the enrollment form to your regional contractor (mailing addresses on the form):
Once you have enrolled you can download a TRICARE wallet card to take to your appointments but you must also show your military ID as proof of coverage.
>>Visit the TRICARE Prime Enrollment Page to Learn More
For information on disenrolling or ending plan coverage, visit the Disenrolling in TRICARE Prime page.