Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System
You must be registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting SystemClick to close(DEERS) A database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their family members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE. (DEERS) to get your TRICARE benefit.
- Sponsors are automatically registered in DEERS
- Sponsors must register eligible family members
If both parents are service members, choose one to be listed as the child(ren)'s sponsor in DEERS.
How to Update DEERS
Adding or Removing Family Members
Only sponsors can add or remove family members:
Updating Your Contact Information
Contact information includes your address, email addresses or phone number(s). Family members can update contact information after they're registered in DEERS.
- Log into MilConnect
- Call 1-800-538-9522 (TTY/TDD: 1-866-363-2883)
- Fax updates to 1-800-336-4416 (Primary) or 1-502-335-9980 (Alternate)
- Mail updates to:
- Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office
400 Gigling Road
Seaside, CA 93955-6771
Note: Addresses must be a physical address; P.O. boxes can't be used.
Adding and Correcting Social Security Numbers (SSNs)
|Sponsors (Not Retired)
- You'll update your SSN with your personnel office.
- Your personnel office will report the correct SSN to DEERS and update your record.
- First, get your SSN changes approved by your personnel office. Your personnel office will send the change to the Defense Finance and Accounting Office (DFAS) through existing processes.
- You must present the required identity documents and your social security card to the personnel office.
- If you aren’t paid by DFAS (e.g. Coast Guard, NOAA, PHS), contact your Service Personnel Office to start the process. They will report the changes to DFAS.
- You'll update your SSN at a local ID Card Office.
- Call first to make an appointment to find out what documents you need to bring with you.
When You Should Update DEERS
Update DEERS whenever you have a change (this list is not all-inclusive):
If you're enrolled in any TRICARE plan (e.g. TRICARE Prime, TRICARE Select, TRICARE Reserve Select, TRICARE Retired Reserve or TRICARE Young Adult) remember to also change your address and other personal information with your regional contractor.
Why You Should Update DEERS
Up-to-date DEERS records
are vital to accessing your TRICARE benefit. It’s critical to keep your DEERS
information up to date so you and your family can use TRICARE.
Errors in DEERS can
cause problems with claims, authorization letters for referrals, and delivery
of home delivery prescriptions. It’s also important to keep your information in
DEERS up to date so you don’t miss important information and enrollment