TRICARE Retired Reserve®
TRICARE Retired Reserve is:
- A premium-based plan
- Available worldwide
- For qualified Select Reserve members and their families
If purchased, TRICARE Retired Reserve meets or exceeds the requirements for minimum essential coverageClick to closeBasic health care coverage that meets the Affordable Care Act requirement. under the Affordable Care Act.
Who Can Participate?
- Retired Reserve members who are:
- Members of the retired Reserve of a Reserve Component who are qualified for non-regular retirement under 10 U.S.C., Chapter 1223
- Under age 60
- Not eligible for, or enrolled in, the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program
- Family members of qualified Retired Reserve members
- Survivors of retired Reserve members if:
- The sponsor was covered by TRICARE Retired Reserve when he or she died.
- They are immediate family members of the deceased sponsor (spouses cannot have remarried).
- TRICARE Retired Reserve coverage would begin before the date the deceased sponsor would have turned 60 years old.
- Survivor coverage is not affected by FEHB eligibility.
How it Works
Schedule an appointment with any TRICARE-authorized providerClick to closeAn authorized provider is any individual, institution/organization, or supplier that is licensed by a state, accredited by national organization, or meets other standards of the medical community, and is certified to provide benefits under TRICARE. There are two types of TRICARE-authorized providers: Network and Non-Network..
- If you visit a non-network provider, you'll pay higher cost shares and may have to file your own health care claims.
- If you visit a network provider, you'll pay lower cost shares and the provider will file health care claims for you.
Or, request an appointment at a military hospital or clinic on a space available basis.
Referrals are not required but you may need prior authorization from your regional contractor for some types of services.
What You Pay
- Monthly premiums
- Annual deductible
- cost shareClick to closeA percentage of the total cost of a covered health care service that you pay. (or percentage) for covered services
>>View TRICARE Retired Reserve Costs
Is TRICARE Retired Reserve Right for You?
TRICARE Retired Reserve may be the right option for you and your family if you qualify. The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage upon your retirement and you do not have to wait until you reach age 60 and begin drawing retired pay to purchase the plan. Plus, because you can see any provider, you don't have to change providers if you already have one.
How to Enroll
You can enroll online or by phone*. For more information, visit the TRR Enrollment
If you don't qualify, you won't be able to complete or print the form. Contact your National Guard or Reserve personnel office for assistance. If you experience a technical problem, call 1-800-477-8227 for assistance.
>>Learn More about Purchasing TRICARE Retired Reserve
For information on disenrolling or ending plan coverage, visit the Ending TRICARE Ready Reserve Coverage page.
*Retired Reserve members located overseas may submit an enrollment request at a TRICARE Service Center.