Extended Care Health Option
The Extended Care Health Option (ECHO) provides financial assistance to beneficiaries with special needs for an integrated set of services and supplies.
To use ECHO, qualified beneficiaries must:
The following beneficiaries who are diagnosed with moderate or severe intellectual disability, a serious physical disability, or an extraordinary physical or psychological condition may qualify for ECHO:
- Active duty family members
- Family members of activatedClick to closeCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row. National Guard/Reserve membersClick to closeIncludes members of the:
- Army National Guard
- Army Reserve
- Navy Reserve
- Marine Corps Reserve
- Air National Guard
- Air Force Reserve
- U.S. Coast Guard Reserve
- Family members who are covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Children or spouses of former service members who are victims of abuse and qualify for the Transitional Compensation Program
- Family members of deceased active duty sponsors while they are considered "transitional survivors."
Children may remain eligible for ECHO beyond the usual age limits in some circumstances. If you or your provider believes a qualifying condition exists, talk to a case manager or with your regional contractor to determine eligibility for ECHO benefits.
If you need help with ECHO benefits or want to see if you qualify, please contact your contractor:
Are you moving?
Talk to your child’s case manager and regional contractor before you move. They can help you find a new doctor and other resources so the transition is smooth with no interruptions in coverage.
Register in DEERS
The qualifying family member’s disability must be entered properly in DEERS to have access to ECHO services.
Can enrollment in the EFMP be waived?
Sometimes. For example, when the sponsor’s branch of service does not provide the EFMP, or when the beneficiary resides with the custodial parent who is not the active duty sponsor. Contact your regional contractor for more information.