TRICARE For Life
TRICARE For Life is Medicare-wraparound coverage for TRICARE-eligible beneficiaries who have Medicare Part A and B.
- Enrollment not required
- Available worldwide:
- TRICARE pays after Medicare in the U.S. and U.S. Territories
- TRICARE is the first payer in all other overseas areas
- Meets or exceeds the requirements for minimum essential coverageClick to closeBasic health care coverage that meets the Affordable Care Act requirement. under the Affordable Care Act.
Who Can Participate?
TRICARE-eligible beneficiaries who have both Medicare Part A and B can use TRICARE For Life.
Not sure if you're eligible? Check out the Eligibilty Page for details.
How it Works
You may visit any authorized provider. >>Find a Doctor
- Your provider files your claims with Medicare.
- Medicare pays its portion and sends the claim to the TRICARE For Life claims processor. >>View what Medicare pays
- TRICARE For Life then pays the provider directly for TRICARE-covered services.
- You won't receive a TRICARE wallet card, all you need is your Medicare card and military ID as proof of coverage.
You can get care at military hospitals and clinics, but only if space is available. >>Find a Military Hospital or Clinic
What You Pay
You don't pay any enrollment fees, but you must pay Medicare Part B monthly premiums. Your Part B premium is based on your income.
For more information about Part B premiums:
- Visit the Medicare website
- Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778)
If you're looking for what Medicare pays for services covered by Medicare and TRICARE, check out the TRICARE For Life Cost Matrix. You'll pay nothing out of pocket for services covered by both Medicare and TRICARE. >>View TRICARE For Life Costs
TRICARE For Life Contractors
The TRICARE For Life contractors assist with claims and provide customer service to all beneficiaries using TRICARE For Life.
Is TRICARE For Life Right for You?
TRICARE For Life is the plan for you if:
- You're eligible for TRICARE
- You have both Medicare Part A and B
Coverage is available worldwide and you can see any provider you want. However, you'll pay more if you get care from Veteran's Administration providers or providers who opt-out of Medicare, because they're not allowed to bill Medicare.
When retired service members and their families become eligible for TRICARE For Life, typically at 65, they are no longer able to enroll in TRICARE Prime.
>>Learn More about TRICARE and Medicare Eligibility Requirements
Can I suspend my FEHB coverage to use TRICARE For Life?
Yes. Call the Office of Personnel Management’s Retirement Information line at 1-888-767-6738 to get a suspension form.