Pharmacy - Taking Medication
- Read the label of each medicine container three times:
- Before you remove it from its storage place,
- Before you take the lid off the container to remove the dose, and
- Before you replace the container in its storage place.
- Use standard measuring devices to take your medicines. The household teaspoon, cup, and glass vary widely in the amount they hold.
- Set medicines away from the surface edge to prevent containers and/or caps from being knocked to the floor.
- When pouring liquid medicines, hold the container with the label against the palm of your hand to protect it from being stained by dripping medicine.
- Wipe off the top and neck of bottles of liquid medicines to keep labels from being obscured and to make it less likely that the lid will stick.
- Replace the lid on one container before opening another to avoid accidental mixing of lids, labels, and medicines.
Last Updated 5/11/2020