Outpatient Clinical Nutrition Services
Top Reasons to Consult a Registered Dietitian:
- You have diabetes, cardiovascular problems or high blood pressure or want to reduce your risk of developing chronic diseases.
- You need to gain or lose some weight.
- You are thinking of having or have had weight loss surgery.
- You have digestive problems.
- You’re pregnant or trying to get pregnant.
- Your teenager has issues with food and eating healthfully.
- You want to improve your performance in sports.
Top Reasons to Consult an Exercise Physiologist:
- You want to decrease your risk for chronic diseases or want help managing current ailments.
- You want know your body composition and how to lose weight.
- You want to know how to exercise effectively.
- You want to learn new exercise techniques and become acquainted with current exercise guidelines.
If you have any of these concerns, make an individual appointment with Outpatient Clinical Nutrition Services. Our dietitians and exercise physiologist can help you develop personalized goals to put you on the path of weight loss, healthy eating and reducing your risk for chronic diseases.
Educational Classes and Workshop Offerings:
Weight Management Workshop (Active Duty & Beneficiaries) – also known as SHIPSHAPE:
An eight week nutrition and weight management course designed to provide participants with basic information regarding nutrition, stress management, exercise, and behavior modification techniques to lower and maintain body weight and percent body fat. Attendance is open to all DoD beneficiaries, especially anyone who exceeds, or is in danger of exceeding body composition assessment standards. Classes are offered in 8-week cycles with multiple class times available per week. Please contact the clinic at 301.295.4065 for the current schedule.
Bariatric Surgery & Nutrition Therapy:
A dedicated Registered Dietitian is available in the General Surgery Clinic for Bariatric Surgery patients (pre-op and post-op). Please call 301.295.4442 to schedule a visit with the Bariatric RD. The RD provides nutrition therapy via:
- Individual patient visits
- Pre-operative support groups held weekly
- Post-operative support groups held weekly
Pre-operative Bariatric Patients seeking Exercise Physiology Services, you may attend a twice-monthly class in this clinic. Call 301.295.4065 to register!
Classes are offered weekly and will help teach pregnant mothers how to test their blood sugar, manage their blood sugar through food and activity, and provide individual nutrition prescriptions for calories and carbohydrates. Please call the clinic for the next-available class. Individual follow-up visits will be offered after the skills class.
Cancer chemotherapy, medications, and radiation treatments demand a lot from the body. Learning to provide the necessary nutrients to improve treatment outcomes is key. A twice-monthly class is available for patients preparing for- or currently undergoing treatment for cancer. During this class, patients will learn how to manage symptoms, manage their weight and nutrition status, and how best to work with the healthcare team when it comes to nutritional health.
Individual oncology nutrition visits are available after the class or upon referral from your provider.
Aquatic Exercise Class:
Held every Wednesday and Friday from 1000-1100 in bldg 17 pool. Please contact 301-295-4065.
Patients are highly encouraged to schedule follow-up individual appointments with dietitians after attending any group session. For questions, call the Outpatient Clinical Nutrition Clinic.
Last Updated 11/20/2019